Thursday, February 5, 2009

Jai Ho! Amazing India! and a little bit of Guam too...

You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty. - Mahatma Gandhi
I guess the most eloquent way to capture the essence of my trip is best expressed through Gandhi's words above. But in layman's terms, India is fabulous, addicting, loving, soothing, pure, and awe inspiring.

But here's a little bit of background info before I continue with this post. After we had our first round of visitors in Prague, my dad started this tradition of asking people to describe their trip by writing six word stories. This of course, is based off Ernest Hemingway's famous six word story: "For sale: baby shoes, never used." The exact reason that he wrote this story is unknown, but regardless, it definitely gets you thinking. Consequently, my dad's challenge to his visitors to sum up their experiences in six words does the same. So, I can't exactly remember all the ones I wrote from Prague (although, I do know they are written down somewhere....ehhhh or at least i hope haha) but obviously I have kept better track of the ones I wrote in India last week. I've written a lot of them as it is rather addicting, but I will share with you the last one I wrote in the still of the plane on my way back to Seoul. It seems that being taken out of India allowed emotions to swirl in my mind and create the perfect environment for me to write my six word story...so here it is:

"Steadfast faith revealed through eloquent humanity."

So, even though I will obviously be explaining all the pictures etc., I think that you will best understand the overall experience of my trip through these words. Although this sentence is by no means as beautiful as Gandhi's words, I hope it can at least give you a little bit of insight to my amazing week.

And I know that I'm not usually a very emotional writer etc. on this blog, but India was so magnificent so I hope that you won't get too annoyed with my dramatic words haha

Soooooooo here's a summary:
The week before I went to India I spent in Guam (pictures at the very end of this post). Guam was amazingly beautiful and there is a lot of cool history about WWII there. And it was great to be there cause my grandpa served there from 1951-53 so it was pretty amazing to step foot where over fifty years earlier my 19 yr old grandpa fought for his country...cool right? Besides that, Guam was completely relaxing, beautiful, and fun. We checked out the local history, visited the traditional market of the Chamorron people, snorkeled, hiked, swam (did very little laying out actually and never spent ANY time at our hotel). It was great.

My plane from Guam got in at like 3 am and I left for India the next day at 2 pm. I was exhausted by couldn't sleep cause i was so pumped for India. My friend Sarah came with me. It was actually a really meaningful trip to her cause her mom was born in India but left the country when she was six. She has never been back, so Sarah was completely excited for us to try to find the home her mom grew up in. (more on that below)

We got into Mumbai in the morning and my dad was waiting for us at the airport. Ok, so I never really cry when I see my family etc. cause I've lived at least 20 hrs away from them since starting college and I'm really used to being far apart after Prague etc. But, after living in Korea and having absolutely NO FAMILY within a 15 hr plane ride, my emotions got the best of me when I saw my dad and I definitely shed more than a few tears....it was funny :)

We had to leave Mumbai right away because my dad had this annual family day at his work we were going to later that night and although Mumbai and Pune are very close in distance, it takes like 3 1/2 to get in between (if you've been to India and seen the traffic this will completely make sense!)

Sooooooooo I'll explain the week from the pictures below, but cliffnotes version is this: I LOVE INDIA, my dad was BEYOND AMAZING and did SO MUCH with us (great talks, dinners together, mountains, spa treatments :), laughs, he even waited for us to shop...A LOT, and helped us organize all travel etc, the list seriously goes on and on and on...DAD, thanks soooo much, you made the trip an experience as opposed to a vacation!)

The people of India are the most genuine human beings I have ever collectively met. The children are always smiling at you and everyone is so welcoming and excited to have you in their country. I found this most true with the Hindu religion...the temples are inviting, people love to share their beliefs but would NEVER criticize anyone else's...like i said, the people are so genuine. Also, the coolest thing about India is the color! you walk down the street, well, more like dodge the cars/motorbikes/rickshaws, and see the brown dirt and green trees. buttttt, there are a MILLION different VIBRANT colors of peoples dresses, food, etc. filling in the surroundings. it's like you are in the middle of a painting...pretty surreal actually. India has been through a lot (which is unfortunately very evident in the slums etc.) but they are so happy and resilient. it definitely makes me think twice before taking my life for granted now. Oh and we were lucky to meet some guys our age (Sai is my age and is the manager of my dad's apt building) who took us to play badminton and hung out with us etc....suchhhhh fun guys, really funny, and nice so that was cool to experience "normal" life.

i hope you enjoy these pics!! sorry i didn't update for a long time but i can only upload 5 pics at a time and it takes like 5 mins per upload soooooooo you do the math :) enjoy!



Mumbai!!!!!!!!!!!!
The man!!!!!

My dad is cool :)

Taj Hotel and Gateway of India - Mumbai



Rebuilding the Taj Hotel after the horrible events of 11/26*

Gateway of India
Slumdog Millionaire in MUMBAI!!! you MUST see this movie...FANTASTIC!!!!
The main train station of Mumbai....11/26*
such beautiful children
Hill station....about 120 SE of Pune....GORGEOUS!!!
The school right on my dad's street

Soo my dad surprised Sarah and me and bought us hot stone massages at the hill station....FANTASTIC!!! what a treat!!!

my dad chatting with his new friends at the hill station :)
monkeys in the wildddddddd!!!! soooo cute but a little scary cause they will take any food/bags from you....buttt look how cute!!! and close!!!

see what I mean about the colors...

sarah showcasing my dad's street
Biryani...the traditional dish of Hyderabad (the city Sarah's mom is from). we took a plane there and had an 2 hr journey to find her mom's house from a 45 year old address but we found it!!!!




we went to visit a school in Pune....I LOVED ITTTTTTT...the kids work was so cute!!! look at the videos on the side of the page to see the kids etc.


Tahli - soooooooooooo good!


sarah's mom's house...its actually the building on the left. the house isn't there any more cause it's an apt complex but we met the building manager who assured us that it was the house before etc. sooo cool to see sarah find this!!!!
right before I left for Seoul...I was super sad :( I miss you daddy!!!
my dad's coworkers invited us over for dinner...delicious...seriously, Indian food is the best EVERRRR



we got some tailor made dresses...a lot of fun picking out fabrics and designing your clothes!!! my dad found the whole process of watching us diligently design things very entertaining haha

rickshaw taxi...
we went to this flower festival...mommy this pic is for you :)

see what i mean about genuine people and real joy?
my dad's (and come september, my mom's) apt!!!

my dad enjoying the food at annual day...obviously we ate a lot during this trip haha but soooo worth the calories!
my dad's coworker and his wife

the balcony of our apartment





annual day




kids coloring contest at the plant on annual day...this would never happen inside the plant in the CR haha
very traditional sand designs at celebrations such as these...they are seriously sooooo detailed its insane!
when my dad first picked us up at the airport!!!!!! wooooooooo
so yea, INDIA IS PRETTY SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i hope i get to go back someday!!!




GUAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!

























sooooooo thats it for this very long post...I have to go cause I'm late to meet katie for dinner but I hope you enjoyed the pics!!! sorry for going on and on about India but its overwhelming and I want to share the wonderful feelings with you!

oh life update! I will be in DC and Chicago and Neenah in 10 days!!! cant wait to see you all!! please call 920-475-4909 (my old #) if you want to get a hold of me! oh and also some other very exciting news...I've been accepted to grad school for educational policy!!!! I'm soooo happy!!!!

ok that is all...ahhhhhhh im so late!!!!!

xoxoxo love you all
Reen

No comments: